Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pot O' Gold



At first, you might think this post doesn't relates to my theme.  However, for me, the release of John Barricelli's The SoNo Baking Company Cookbook is like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

I first heard of John Barricelli when we lived in Ridgefield, Connecticut.  He was the pastry chef at the Elms Inn, one of the best places to eat in Ridgefield.  He was "lured away from the restaurant world" by Martha Stewart and set up her set kitchen and became an invaluable member of her staff.  He went on to host Everyday Food and Everyday Baking on PBS.  He opened his dream bakery in South Norwalk, Connecticut in 2005.  I'm disappointed that we moved from Connecticut in 2001 and I have not had a chance to visit the bakery.

I admire John's approach so much because it comes from tradition; a family of bakers and recipes that are well-tested.  His recipes are easy to create and the results, which I can attest to, are perfect.  This morning I made the Macadamia Butterscotch Bars for two reasons.  First, I love Blondies and this recipe has a different twist, adding dried tart cherries and substituting macadamia nuts for walnuts.  Secondly, I thought it was a nice "jumping off" point to trying everything in book.

The result was...well unbelievable!  (I have made a request in to John to ask if I can share this recipe, but haven't heard back yet since the release date of his book was this week and there are lots of promotional parties going on.) Yum!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Susan

    My heart lept when I received your parcel today..I even let out a yelp of excitment! Susan what a beautiful book to be very proud of. I am so happy you wrote a personal message for me. I am inspired. You have such talent and I hope to make every flower in your book. Susan I would please like to have your banking details..Sorry I had no other way of contacting you but to leave a comment on a very nice post..I am definitely going to be purchasing the "soNo' cookbook too.

    A happy day to you Susan
    Warm regards
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Susan

    I will treasure this book. I have a 17th century Amoire book case. Its has found its place. I have never known an author of a book before so this really is extra special. Thank you for your kindness. Your journey with Kelly I am sure took you to a place not many know about. I am friends with Nicole and have followed Kellys progress. How wonderful to have such a lovely daughter.

    Warm blessings to you both.

    warm regards
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the "Wee Little Shortbread Brownies" in my wonderful new 13x9 springform pan and they were a big hit. I have since received the SoNo Baking Company Cookbook and can't wait to bake the "Macadamia Butterscotch Bars". Thank you again for the great pan and the inspiration to be creative again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb - as you are my inspiration to be a better knitter!

    ReplyDelete