Sunday, May 17, 2015

Good Morning Crumb Coffee Cake & April's Apron Winner

Yes, I'm back...April flew by just like me.  My work schedule has become very busy and I was in Massachusetts for an event, then home a week before heading to Tokyo, Japan for their Hobby & Craft Show.  I've been there previously for the show, but it had been over 6 years ago and I can honestly say, it's gotten twice as busy; if that's possible!
7 year old Gwen is creating a tulip from my Garden Notes!
Just missed Cherry Blossoms in full bloom
Aren't the Kimonos beautiful!
Once back, and very jet lagged, I made a trip to see our grandson and be a part of "Grandparent's Day at the Montessori school he attends.  Home now for a few weeks before heading to our granddaughter's dance recital, so I thought I better get this post in before everyone thinks I've disappeared off the face of the Earth!

Crumb Coffee Cake is one of my favorites for breakfast.  Crumb topping differs from  streusel mainly because the ratio of flour to sugar...crumb requires more flour and the result are pea-sized pieces that sit perfectly on top of a delicious golden cake.  This cake is not too sweet, but very satisfying.

Crumb Coffee Cake
Preheat oven to 325F-degrees.  Line a 9-inch square baking pan with 2 pieces of aluminum foil, joined and making sure you get the corners tight.  Fold extra foil over to use later to lift crumb cake out of the pan.
 
Crumb Topping:
8 T unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cardamon
1/8 tsp. Kosher salt
1 3/4 cup cake flour ( I use Queen Guinevere Cake Flour by King Arthur Flour)

In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.  While the butter is cooling, in a medium bowl, mix together the all ingredients except the flour, use your fingers or rubber spatula to mix.  Pour the butter over the sugar and spices and stir together.  Finally, add the flour until mixture resembles a thick, cohesive dough.  

Set aside while making the cake.

Cake:
6T unsalted butter, softened 
I cut the butter into small cubes to soften quicker
1 1/4 cup cake flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
1 tsp. Vanilla extract

 Using a stand mixer, with a paddle attachment, mix the dry ingredients. Add the softened butter, 1 cube at a time on low speed.  Continue mixing until mixture resembles moist crumbs--1-2 minutes.   Add the butter, egg, egg yolk and vanilla and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.  

Using a rubber spatula, spread the cake batter into the prepared pan.
Using both hands, roll pieces of topping dough (crumb) between your thumb and forefinger into large pea-sized pieces.  Top the batter with these crumbs, beginning around the edges and continuing towards the middle  Bake until crumbs are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 30 minutes.  Lift the cake out onto a serving board, dust with confectioners' sugar and cut into squares.  Enjoy!

Now, the winner of April's Apron is Miss Jane of http://missjaneblog.blogspot.com/ .  Please email me your address and the apron will be sent to you with love.

I will have May's apron up tomorrow; it's a special one in honor of our daughter, Kelly.  The anniversary of her passing was on May 14th (another reason for not blogging lately) and I really feel like the colors of the apron speak volumes of her life.


7 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Susan! Looks like that you had a great (and busy) time in Japan. Your crumb cake looks mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, you have been so very busy, you world traveler, you! Yes, the kimonas were beautiful. You are a devoted grandmother...the grands can count on you. Something about the anniversaries brings back a lot of tender memories. Congrats to your winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I was wondering what was keeping you so busy, now I know! Glad you had a good and busy April. I know May is not a good month for you but I'm sending you big hugs.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun. Thanks for the recipe. I love crumb cake, and use a box mix, but this looks just as easy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan you are becoming the world traveller. Now this coffee cake is the one for me! have fun with family.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan! Many many thanks for you gift! I'll send you my address on your email. Your crumb coffee cake looks great!:) I''ll bake it as soon as.
    Greetings from Italy!:)

    ReplyDelete